- Apr 26, 23Event
- Bobby Mills “Within Two Trees: English Walnut & English Brown Oak, 2022-23”
The wood furniture of Bobby Mills has been featured at Arts & Science since 2021. In our second exhibition of Mill's work at Arts & Science Daikanyama, we will present a collection of seventeen new pieces that includes dining tables, benches, and stools.
With the new pieces, Mills explores of the possibilities of combining the colors and tones of different woods. The seat or top of each piece is made from dark-toned English brown oak or walnut oak and the base from a lighter-toned English oak. Mills incorporated rare woods into the collection – some up to nine-hundred years old – and constructed the pieces to showcase the grain structures and unique features of each wood.
Larger pieces were designed for the smaller living spaces that are typical in Japan. For example, the legs of the dining table are angled inward to minimize the footprint of the base.
Mills will be present for the exhibition, which offers a rare opportunity to hear the master craftsman's thoughts about his work and unique wood sources. Please join us for this enlightening experience.
“This will be my first time in Japan, so this is a very special trip for me. It has always been important to me to build deep and meaningful relationships with my partners and customers, many of whom are now friends. Trees have brought people together for thousands of years. We have built our homes with them, gathered beneath them, found guidance in them, and, for me, they continue to connect me with people in these enduring ways. I see the pieces I create as a part of my being. They carry my artistic voice and come from my soul. To meet those who invest in these pieces, who connect and find resonance with the objects I share in Japan will be wonderful.”
― Bobby Mills
- Bobby Mills, “Within Two Trees: English Walnut & English Brown Oak, 2022-23”
- April 28th, 2023 (Friday) ~ / 11:00 – 19:00
The artist will be present on Saturday, May 27th and Sunday, May 28th
(Please call the shop directly for the exact times)
*The shop is closed on Tuesdays, with the exception of Tuesday, May 2nd, when the shop will be open for the national holiday
- A&S DAIKANYAMA
- We request that all items purchased will be displayed until Sunday, May 28th. Delivery will begin on Monday, May 29th.
〈LIST OF WORKS〉
DINING TABLE L190 W100-87 H73cm／English Brown Oak
SIDE TABLES L40 W35 H50cm／English Brown Oak
BENCH L180 W48-40 H43cm／English Walnut Oak
STOOL H52cm／English Walnut Oak
- Bobby Mills is a woodworker and photographer whose independent workshop is located in North Devon, England. He creates one-off handmade furniture and objects from locally and nationally sourced wood. The pieces are made with a simple method, using only a woodturning lathe. Mills taught himself to work with wood at a young age, drawing from the Scandinavian influences of his mother’s Danish heritage. He has a First Class Honors degree in photography from the University for the Creative Arts, and all of the images of his woodwork are taken by himself personally.
- ※ For inquiries, please contact each shop directly or use our contact form.